Some engineers work in secured areas that are off limit to the public. Explain why you think this is done? Give 2 or 3 examples of situations in which you think this kind of security is necessary. Explain why for each example.
Some people argue it is impossible for individuals to invent or perfect significant new technology in our modern world. For example, Edison (electric light bulb, 1879), or Marconi (radio, 1890’s). Instead, giant corporations or institutions now develop all the significant new technology. Do you agree? Explain your response.
Assume a bridge falls down, or an airplane crashes because of miscalculations in the engineering. Also assuming it was an honest mistake, is it fair to blame the engineer(s) who made the errors? Explain your answer.
Describe a major problem you think engineers will solve in the next 5 or 10 years?
- Why hasn’t this engineering problem be solved in the past?
- What barriers remain in order to solve this problem?
Which of the following design considerations should be most important to an engineer? Explain.
1. Innovation – something new or different
2. Efficiency – an inexpensive and easy to produce product
3. Client satisfaction – whoever pays you is happy with your work.