Objectives: (1) To gain an appreciation of some of the non-engineering issues that affect the work of civil engineers working on public projects. (2) To improve writing skills in order to clearly express ideas. Neatness counts.
Please choose one of the two assignments which follow. That is, you may do either one. You do not have to do both.
SUPPLEMENT OPTION #1:
Write an essay, not less than two pages long, relating to the Daniel Hoan Memorial Bridge. You may do additional research as needed, but the essay may be primarily your opinions, based on the facts disclosed in the original assignment on the Hoan Bridge. Please address at least the following issues in your essay:
(1) Identify the various stakeholders in the history of the bridge at this location. What role did each person or group play and why was that role important.
(2) Identify the problems which prevented or slowed building the bridge.
- Which of these problems were related to engineering issues?
- Which of these problems were related to political or government issues?
- Which of these problems were attributable to other factors?
(3) What is your prediction for the future of the Daniel Hoan Memorial Bridge? Will it be replaced?
SUPPLEMENT OPTION #2:
Prepare a Case Study on another major bridge which has been built anywhere in the world. Your Case Study should be in the form of an essay, not less than two pages long,
(1) Identify and select another bridge, which has experienced notable resistance and/or controversy during the design and/or construction phase(s).
(2) Who were the key stakeholders, and how did they affect the process.
(3) Identify engineering and non-engineering issues that were encountered.
(4) What is your prediction for the future of this bridge.